COVID-19 has impacted business operations across the globe forcing many companies to work remotely. Working remotely has huge data privacy and security implications. We have created a basic checklist that will help employers to protect their data as employees work from home. This global pandemic could remain a threat for a prolonged period of time. As employees work from home during this period, organizations must take data protection even more seriously.
- Update hardware inventory – refresh the list of devices used from home
- Communicate your organization’s work-from home policies and procedures
- Review response protocol in case of data breach due to remote work
- Mandate two-factor authentication for all employees
- Determine if any personal data will flow across borders as a result of remote work
- Run mandatory online training to discuss privacy and security risk scenarios at home
- Request employees to update the software on their home routers and personal devices